Eats: Peach Jam

10:30 AM

IMG_4379

Sometimes, people acquire massive amounts of food and don't know what to do with it, so they give it to me. Brian (Kyle's twin) had a grocery bag full of peaches and nectarines a little while back and handed it over to me, which was very wise of him. Most of the peaches were very ripe, so I decided to try my hand at peach jam. Because they were so ripe, this came out slightly thinner than regular jam, and the nectarine bits floated to the top of the jar, so I have to stir it up a bit, but I really liked it. 

Get
1 quart peaches, peeled, pitted, & finely chopped. 
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice 
1 3oz packet of liquid pectin (or equivalent of dry pectin)

Combine fruit, juice, and sugar in a large saucepan. Bringing it slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in pectin, boiling hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off any foam. Ladle jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space in each jar. Process jars for ten minutes. 

I used the recipe from Ball, and you can adjust the recipe as needed. Noms. 

IMG_4383 IMG_4380

You Might Also Like

7 Musings

  1. I'm not a huge jam person but I must say this look delicious! One day I will like to take the time to make some but give away as gifts esp in those cute mason jars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love peach jam! yours is chunky too, so that's even better. you can definitely savor the flavor. looks good sara.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, this sounds delicious. i just saw a coworker adding homemade jam to greek yogurt and thought it sounded yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh..Wow! I've never made peach. I just finished up making strawberry, raspberry and blackberry jam from our harvest over the summer that has been in the freezer. And it turned out much better than I expected. I made small batches. Somehow, the first batch never turns out as I'd like..and I hate hot water baths ..afterwards too..but in all it was a big accomplishment for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks scrummy - and I LOVE the color!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now all I need is toast and peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.