Pretty Good Year10:30 AM
Oy! With the resolutions already! Every year I do them, and every year I fail at most of them. Last year I did my best to keep up with them each month, I think that worked until about July, and then, who knows. Is it going to stop me from making more again this year? Nope. I am however, going to try my best to take a different approach this year.
1) Fitness routine- Instead of just posting that I want to lose 15 pounds, I want to keep a good fitness routine. Right now I am about halfway through Insanity and although I am getting my ass kicked, I really love it. When it is over, I would like to try another program, and also do more yoga, ballet, and go on more hikes. I also have not been rock-climbing since I was in middle-school, so I would love to try that again.
2) Finances- I did a pretty decent job of making up a spreadsheet in excel to keep track of our finances, as well as downloading our bank's mobile app. I just need to keep up with it, because having bills paid on time is always a good thing.
3) Quality time- When I think of 2013, I think of a year of fun, but also stress. One of the easiest ways to see all of our friends is to have everyone over, or to all meetup at a bar for some drinks. However, this also leads to people constantly crashing at our house/us getting nothing done the next day. This year I need to do things differently. An occasional night out is one thing, but I would like to plan more activities during the day, so that I can still have some free time during the rest of the weekend. I also just need to say "no" more to always hanging out. It seems that there is always an excuse: It's someone's birthday, we haven't seen so-and-so in a long time, etc. What happens is that we end up hanging out with people 3/4 weekends per month, and also during the week and I just get too burnt out. Not to mention Kyle is still working full time, and is in school full-time, leaving me with all of the rest of the household duties (as well as working full time myself) and I need time to do said duties. Staying up until 2am on a Sunday night to make sure that our underwear gets put in the dryer so we have some for the week is not something I can do because come Monday I will try to murder all of my coworkers on account of lack of sleep. This is going to be the hardest one, as friends and family already get disappointed when I have to say "no" to them, but it is a work in progress.
4) Scarf- Okay, this is the only one that a 'typical' resolution, but I want to crochet the Fourth Doctor's scarf for Kyle to wear to Motor City Comic Con in May. And for me to wear all of the time.
5) Be realistic- I love projects. I love being busy, especially if the result is something really positive. For instance: working on the house, or gardening. What I have to keep in mind though, is that these things take time. I cannot try to finish an entire room in one weekend. The garden will need to be watered/weeded regularly. This also ties into having to say "no" to people in order to get these things done, because I often try to cram too much into one weekend. As much as I want to, I am not going to be able to watch a new movie each week, or finish a book per week. Mostly because things come up (hello broken dryer!) and beating myself up for not getting ALL the things done is not worth it. Also, sleep, I need to be better friends with you!
6) Punctuality- I am lucky in the sense that my work is very lenient on punctuality. I can pretty much come in whenever I want, as long as I work eight hours. Cool. However, I need to be on time for other things. Again, it also comes down to trying not to fit too many things in one day. I probably should not schedule a coffee date with a friend, even if I have not seen them in awhile, on the same night that I have to babysit/plan on painting my hallway.
I am going to leave it at that for now. I am nervous about tackling some of these items, but I am trying to stay optimistic about it. What are your plans for 2014?