Eats: Lamb Tagine

10:30 AM

IMG_9278

This meal was a real pain in the ass to make, but the majority of that was brought upon myself. I ended up purchasing an entire leg of lamb, because that is what the recipe read, but, I could have easily bought it off the bone and just chopped it up. Because, in the end, I had to butcher the lamb leg. I did end up making a very large quantity of stock from the bones and some veggies, so I guess I won in the long run. I also have loads of lamb wrapped up in the freezer, so expect to see a lot of that recipes coming up. It is a good thing I rarely consume meat right?

Serves 4-6. 

Get:
1 leg of lamb (I would go with about 1 1/2-2 lbs to make it easier)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp olive oil, divided to taste, salt & freshly ground pepper. 
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 leek, white part only, sliced
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup chickpeas 
2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 pear, diced
Cooked couscous (I used quinoa, a little over 1 cup)
1/4 pine nuts 

Cook:
Dice lamb into bite-size portions. Combine all spices, and then divide in half. In a heavy based casserole, heat one table spoon oil over high heat. Add the lamb and half to spices and season to taste. Cook, stirring, until browned all over. Transfer lamb to a plate and drain any fat from the pan. Heat the remaining oil and spices in the same pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add onion, leak, and carrots, and cook until onion is softened. Return the meat to pan with stock, chickpeas, pear, and tomatoes. Stir well. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered 20-30 minutes, or until lamb is tender and sauce is thick. Stir occasionally and extra stock if necessary. 

Eat:
Spoon lamb tagine over hot couscous, sprinkle with pine nuts, and serve. 

You Might Also Like

2 Musings

Talk nerdy to me.