Reads: The Casual Vacancy

6:56 PM

IMG_1921

I had room for one more book on my reading list (the one that I have been slacking on horribly, btw), and so I basically stole this from my friend Dan. 

The Casual Vacancy is kind of a big deal. Because it is J.K. Rowling's (author of the Harry Potter series, duh) first adult novel. This was an enormous change for me. Harry Potter got very dark at times, this book is dark from cover-to-cover. The story takes place in a small town with some very large political issues, and the intense events that take place in that town after the death of one man. 

Despite the huge difference in genere of this book compared to her others, I could easily tell it was her. The style of writing is the same, the complex, very interesting and diverse characters are all Rowling, the dramatic plot, you get it. Despite its 500-odd pages, it is a fast read. I did really enjoy it and recommend it, however, it is dark. If it were a movie, it would have been rated R. Just sayin'.

You Might Also Like

5 Musings

  1. I just haven't tried it. I've heard a lot about it. I had one friend who couldn't get through it because she thought the editors let Rowlings do what she wanted and wished she'd cut some of those paragraphs. Yet, I know a lot read her stuff because of her prose, too.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear a review on her new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you read this and reviewed it. I just don't know if I could get into it..this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold. I like DARK! lol I've gotta get that book.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like one to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.