Eats: Tuscan Onion Soup

10:30 AM


Guys,  I can't help it, I love soup. AND, since it has been 40 degrees when I leave the house, 70 degrees while I am at work, and then cold and rainy when I get home, I think soup. 

Get
1 3/4 pancetta ham, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 large while onions, sliced thinly in rings
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 3/4 cups hot chicken or ham stock
Croutons 
2 3/4 oz cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper

Dry-fry the ham in a large pan, 3-4 minutes until it begins to brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the oil to the pan and cook the onions and garlic over a high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add thee stock to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and leave the mixture to simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.  Add the ham back to the soup and season to taste with salt & pepper. Pour into bowls and top with the croutons and cheese. 

You Might Also Like

9 Musings

  1. This is perfect for our weekend..so cold and rainy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I always have trouble with onion soup..getting them caramelized. I really like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so good at soups you should make a soup recipe book :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yam!
    by the way, this recipe looks so yammy that I asked my hubby to cook it for me. and hey! soups are not my fave dish in general (what we are not talking about tomato soup)

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will definitely be a soup recipe I want to try. Ham and onions..what could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.