Eats: Butternut Squash Soup8:42 AM
My name is Sara and I am a soup fiend. I LOVE soup, I eat it for lunch about 3-4 times per week. Sometimes I even talk to it. When Kyle and I went to the cider mill/pumpkin patch a few weeks back, he bought the biggest butternut squash known to man (well it was well over 6 pounds). I found a basic recipe for butternut squash soup here, and we made a giant batch of awesomesauce.
What you will need:
- 2 large butternut squash (about 4 1/2 lbs.) or 4 lbs. peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Halve, seed, peel, and cube the butternut squash. Set aside.
- Halve, peel, and chop the onion. Mince the garlic, if you like.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter or oil and the chopped onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the squash and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer small batches to a blender. Hold a kitchen towel over the top (to prevent burns) and whirl until completely and utterly smooth, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Return the soup to the pot and add more salt to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Of course I never follow directions to the T, and I did not have enough veggie stock. I just added a few cups of water and a bullion cube and it came out great. I also made another smaller batch this week and just used a bullion cube and water and it came out a bit thicker, but also VERY good!