Eats: Summer Squash Salad

10:33 AM

IMG_6987

There are a few bars in Ferndale that serve some pretty amazing salads, which is pretty impressive for bars. I mean, normally it is just your typical fried-food-fare unless my buddies over at Detroit Underdog are out and about. Seriously, I need to do a post on them ASAP, you guys will be blown away! Anyway, back to the salad. Normally my salads are just for lunch, or as a side dish for pasta, but the other week I decided to make it our main dish. I totally made loads more of it than I should have, but it came out pretty good. I am surprised that Kyle liked it, to be honest. I mean, I can get him to eat some veggie dishes, but just salad is pushing it. The trick? Put a hot, cooked veggie in it. 

IMG_6986

Get 
2 yellow summer squash, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 bag mixed salad greens
1 cup spinach leaves
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup feta cheese, chopped
Sea salt
Cracked  pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil 

Heat the oil in a pan, and add the squash, stirring occasionally. While that is cooking, mix the salad mix, spinach, tomatoes, cheese, and walnuts in a large bowl. Add some salt and pepper (to taste) to the squash, and cook until finished (it will be kind of clear, but still firm). Pile it on top of the salad, and enjoy! I made a batch of balsamic vinaigrette dressing to go with it. 

You Might Also Like

6 Musings

  1. Yum! This sounds so good. It would be good mixed with a grain, too...then maybe Kyle wouldn't think it's an actual salad! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and so healthy!!


    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I would so eat this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you posted this. I love squash and love that certain vinegar too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um. Wow. I am over here drooling. That looks amazing! Im just going to continue to stare at how delicious that looks until I decide to muster up the energy to fetch the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so good. this just may get me to eat squash! hahaha
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.