Eats: Vegetarian Salsa Goulash Bake

10:37 AM

IMG_5168

We have had a couple meals lately that were created by whatever was in the house, and this is one of them. This was really, really tasty, but probably not very healthy. So of course, Kyle loved it. I think if I make this again, I will try it with cheese substitute, because as much as I love cheese, it destroys my stomach *sobs*. 

Anyway, I didn't want to make just goulash again, so I thought I would try baking it. It is loosely based off of this, but I used some of our homemade salsa, and it came out really good! Here is what you need:

Get
2 cups macaroni noodles (any kind, wheat, quinoa, or regular).
1 package Smart Ground veggie protein,  mexican style 
1 package colby jack cheese 
2 medium white onions, chopped and sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
32 ounces of salsa 
1 package grape tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup noodle water
Salt & Pepper
Cumin 
Cayenne pepper
Olive Oil 

Cook noodles according to instructions on the box, drain (reserving 1/3 cup of noodle water) and set aside. In the same pot, heat a tablespoon of olive oil, and add veggie protein. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper to taste (I sprinkled the salt and pepper, and used about a tablespoon of each of the other seasonings). When it is done, remove from pot and set aside. Next, heat up a little more olive oil and add the onion and garlic to the pot. Cook until the onion starts to yellow, and then add in the tomatoes, salsa and veggie protein. Let simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400. After 20 minutes is up, add the noodles to the pot, as well as half of the cheese. Mix well, then carefully pour contents into casserole dish, patting the noodle mix to make it even. Place in oven and let bake until the sauce starts to bubble (took about 15 minutes). Take dish out and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, then place back in oven for another 5-10 minutes, until cheese melts. Remove from oven, let sit for about ten minutes before eating. Yum!

I think if I make this again, I might try adding a little green onion on top or something. Adding beans might be another option too. Either way, FOOD. 

IMG_5170

You Might Also Like

10 Musings

  1. i pretty much need this right now. yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cheese on that baby looks so damn good! OMG'D! Anything with cheese on it is good. Great recipe Sara. It looks so delicious doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheese loos so delicious! Definitely want to try it!

    ❤Tallia
    Trending In Fashion
    Dressale Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. We are trying to make more meals from what's in the fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried Daiya brand vegan cheese? I love it, and it melts just like real cheesy. I use it when I make pizzas, tacos. in salads, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s great the recipes you post because they are all what I’d love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sound like something my sister would like haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...this looks scrummy. And also cheesy. Now I'm hungry!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.