Save The Day!

10:56 AM

kyle
IMG_1959 IMG_1274
IMG_1461

This past weekend was the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, and I was all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. I started out by watching "An Adventure in Space and Time", a movie about the making of Doctor Who, with Kyle on Friday night. If you didn't already love Classic Who, this will make you want to just grab hold of the First Doctor and never let go. It was also an amazing inside look on how they were able to create such an awesome show on such a small budget, it really was incredible.

I had originally planned on watching the 50th anniversary special with my bestie at her place, but on account of my non-whovian friends wanting to go out later to places on my side of town, as well as Tony Spark in great need of an oil change, those plans fell through. My friends Mike and Neil live close by, and were kind enough to have me over for the viewing. IT WAS AMAZEBALLS. I tried my hardest to live-tweet, and to spam the crap out of Facebook (because let's be honest, this was like the Superbowl for geeks), but it was so hard to talk to everyone while also trying not to miss anything. Mike was laughing at me, because I held my phone the entire time. I am pretty sure that for the last 30 minutes or so, we all were leaning forward, totally zoned in.

I am not going to review it, because I know there are people who are planning on watching it in theaters today and have not seen it yet. However, I will say that I liked it more than I thought that I would. I really liked everyone's character, the banter was just beautiful. I wanted to hug everyone, even Moffat! Of course I called Kyle (he was at work) and basically made whale noises into the receiver so he would agree to watch it with me again when he got home from work. He loved it. *SPOILERS* He even said that Tom Baker was cute-he was pissed that he admitted that.

We concluded the weekend's festivities by watching "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot", a 50th anniversary special spoof, created by Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor) on account of the majority of the classic doctors not included in the big anniversary special. It is hilarious! I felt so bad that they were not in the big special, but the spoof was so cute and funny that it was almost worth it. I highly recommend watching it, there are lots of little surprises in it. 

Untitled IMG_9437IMG_9434
Untitled

It really is hard to imagine that I only started watching this show a year and a half ago, and I have completely immersed myself in it. I have corrupted my younger brother into becoming obsessed with it, I have even convinced friends who never had any interest in the show to watch an episode or two and now want to go to Motor City Comic Con with me next year. Friends, family members, and co-workers constantly message and email me Doctor Who related things as they come across them. And yet, I still have so much more to do! I have yet to finish making my way through the classic series, as well as the Sarah Jane Adventures (spin-off), then there are the audio series, comic books, as well as regular books. Because the Doctor Who fandom is bigger on the inside, and it is fantastic. 

IMG_6117 jelly babiesUntitled three dalek2

You Might Also Like

14 Musings

  1. I thought of you this weekend when I was seeing lots of stuff about the anniversary. I have a cousin who is actually in London for all the events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you are too funny! I have another reader who get's super psyched over it too. I'll find her blog address and post it here for you so you can check out her blog. Have a great week doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it is:
    http://joiefatale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read your review. I'm planning on reviewing it for my blog though I might have liked it way less than you did. Seeing David Tennant slip into the role again made me nostalgic. Also the Tom Baker cameo! The noise me & Brit made when he came on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my sister Tiffany just took the words from my mouth haha!



    ps I totally forgot you name your car Tony Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  6. would you hate me if i said i had never seen the show? i have heard only good things, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't able to watch the 50th special but plan to see it soon. I share your passion and it's fun to see you get excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEY! YOu mentioned the spoof!! Hooray! I thought that was better than the special, honestly, but of course Tom Baker at the end of the special was worth it. I thought the special was so strange (especially mr. polygamist man-whore of the 10th doctor. . .my goodness. . .racking up the wives there). I guess seeing the loads of companions and many of the sons/daughters of various doctors was really sweet to see in the spoof too. I knew who everyone was, so that really amazed me how they really did try to get so many people in it.
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been an awesome weekend! I did watch on BBCA. My friends are seeing it tonight at the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a blast! Love your Whovin post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was certain you'd have a party of some kind. Oh..such fun seeing the 3 doctors...and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such fun seeing all these Dr. Who pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously though, Sara...if there were an award for # 1 Dr. Who fan, it would be given to you {hands-down}. I so need to get on the Doctor Who wagon!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been hearing so much about Dr. Who and you're always the first person that comes to mind! These photos are great and looks like a great time was had!

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.