Eats: Salted Caramel & Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cupcakes

10:30 AM

IMG_4364

After yesterday's rant, how about something sweet? Cupcakes!

I had this sort-of awesome idea for a cooking web series: My friend Neil comes up with a dish, and I cook it. That is as far as I got, because lazy, but still a cool idea in theory! When I made the cherry chip cupcakes, Neil had also suggested that I make these at some point, so I did! Another issue with this whole cooking web series thing, I need to know what I am doing. I tried to make the cupcakes from scratch, and they ended up tripling in size and getting all over the inside of the oven. Nasty mess, it was bad. So I ended up running out to get a box of regular chocolate cake mix, but they still came out pretty good! This particular one sat in the fridge overnight and was therefore less messy than the rest that I took a party that evening. Tip: Don't wait to the last minute to make cupcakes.

Get:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp sugar
11 oz softened cream cheese
1 tbsp almond milk
1 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
Preztles
*1 cup salted caramel sauce

Sauce
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

*Homemade caramel sauce-In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Raise the heat and cook until it turns an amber color, then add butter. Once the butter melts, remove from heat and add the vanilla, salt, and cream. Stir to combine, and then let cool.

Mix cake mix according to instructions on the package, set aside. In a small bow, combine 3 oz of cream cheese, the peanut butter, 2 tbsp of sugar, and the almond milk. Beat together until smooth. Fill cupcake liners halfway full with cake batter, then drop a small spoonful of peanut butter mixture into each cup. Add a little more of the cake mix to each cupcake liner and bake according to instructions on the package.

In a separate bowl, beat together the rest of the cream cheese, the butter, powdered sugar, and a cup of the caramel sauce. Frost the cupcakes with the frosting and top with pretzels. Eat!

IMG_4361 IMG_4365

You Might Also Like

10 Musings

  1. WANT. I will make these after my GD diet is done, guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap...two of my favorites in one cupcake. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this cupcake look so good! I want it haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looooooks so amazing! I want it so bad..now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i keep hearing about salted caramel. i don't think i've ever had a salted caramel anything. it looks so good sara. i've gotta try!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i keep hearing about salted caramel. i don't think i've ever had a salted caramel anything. it looks so good sara. i've gotta try!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never had salted caramel anything until a few years ago and I seriously can't get enough now! I will definitely be trying to make these adorable cupcakes!

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I didn't start my clean eating diet this week, cause that looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Sara stop! I swear I just gained like 30 pounds!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.