Cat Costume Remix

10:30 AM

Mecat

At a recent Halloween party, a few of my friends and I were joking about how often I go as a cat. A cat is a fairly common Halloween costume, however, I think it is fun to take something basic and be more creative with it. Also, for the past few years I have attended multiple parties (because the older you get, the less appealing bars are during the holidays) and it is great to have a back-up costume. Especially one that you don't have to explain-as is often the case with me, because dork. 


It all started when some friends and I decided to go as Josie and the Pussycats one year for Halloween. Group costumes are a lot of fun, which is probably why Kyle and I have done couple-costumes the past two years. Anyway, I was Valarie! Looking back at these, I probably should have bought a wig, but at least people knew what we were! I even gushed to Rosario Dawson that I was geeked to dress up as Valarie, I loved her outfits almost as much as I love her. ROSARIO DAWSON. Okay, moving along. 

costumes 015 costumes 012

A generic leopard cat! I think for an outing at Luna, a dance club in Royal Oak a few years back. I think I wore this mostly to have an excuse to buy leopard-print tights, who doesn't love leopard-print tights?! Aside the bulk of society of course. Whatever, a wardrobe staple, I tell you!

I also wore the ears & tail to work on Halloween with regular clothes because it was an easy way to be festive (and meow at work, even though I do that anyway). Tip: Don't use those makeup crayon things as whiskers, use mascara. Mascara will dry and stay put for the most part, the other stuff will smear. Especially if you are a mess like me and forget that it is there, both times I wore it. Mistakes are my forte. 


I think these last two were my favorite: Fancy & Vintage cats! Last year we dressed up to go to the bar and watch the Tigers play in the World Series (we weren't so lucky this year, sadness). Mariah bought us bow ties, because bow ties are cool! We were "fancy cats". 

Then for a party last weekend, I was a "vintage cat" as the party was Gatsby-like (note: I finally decided to try mascara whiskers). 

I am really excited to share my latest costume! I think I will still dress up when I am 80 years old, even if it is just to pass out candy, or wheel around in my wheelchair in my retirement home, I will be a festive old Granny! What are everyone's plans for Halloween?

CatsUntitled

You Might Also Like

15 Musings

  1. I've been a cat for Halloween multiple times too - it really is a fun and yet easy costume that can be changed up many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! :) we celebrate halloween earlier this year. i dressed up as dorothy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah too cute! I always wanted to dress up as a group swat team but found out this is actually agains the law so ixnay to that!

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are all adorable...i love vintage cat. there are so many possibilities now that cats are so popular on the internet. (grumpy cat?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha sara! you most definitely will. you ALWAYS look so cute in costumes. you should be on broadway! you would steal the show. very cute! meow!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWW, The cat costumes are the best. it can be sexy, classy or just simple! you look so cute as a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cat costume!!! So creative!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. You have a flair for costumes. And why is it that the cat's tail looks so natural on you?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cat outfits..the make is adorable too..in you latter ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you are a great cat person! Love your costumes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun Monday post! This really makes me want to have fun this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! You look adorable as a kitty! I always wind up dressing as a cat for Halloween, as well - it's like the quintessential costume!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're such a cute kitty! I think I'm the only person over 5 who still dresses up like a fairy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.