Eats: Three Bean Chili

10:30 AM

9665891971_598a43404e_z

I made this weeks ago, but now I am looking at these pictures and thinking that it might be time to make another batch, especially since the weather cooled down this week. Chili is great because it can be tweaked in so many ways, it can be really spicy, mild, veggie, or have meat (like this one I made a few years back). I tend to make mine with the left-overs that we have, basically whatever produce we had from our garden/recent farmer's market run. This was really spicy, but you can just omit the hot peppers or use less if you want it to not burn through your insides. 

IMG_3578 IMG_3579


Get
*1-2 cups water, depending on thickness preference 
1 16 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed
1 16 oz can of chili beans, rinsed
1 16 oz can pinto beans, rinsed
15 oz tomatoes blended (or can of tomato sauce)
1 16 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 springs fresh oregano 
2-3 ears of corn, cooked and shaved off cob
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 carrots, shaved & chopped
1-2 bell peppers, chopped
2 Thai chili peppers, sliced thin
1 ghost chili pepper 

In a large pot, add first 10 items and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring back to a boil, then simmer again for 10 minutes. This makes A LOT, so either feed an army, or prepare to freeze it. Or you can just cut the recipe in half. Top with whatever you like to top your chili with & eat! 

You Might Also Like

8 Musings

  1. Sara, thank you so much for posting this! I love three bean chili. I only get it when I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Never knew the recipe! Ooooh, I'm gonna make it! THANKS!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This looks delish! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it out!

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! I will try it! I must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so yummy! I need to make this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! Love! This recipe! I think I can do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful dish for September. Lots of good stuff in this one..for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think there could be a more perfect fall meal - this looks scrummy. It also makes me think of sweaters and boots and crisp piles of leaves! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.