Little Bits: Around The House

12:50 PM

househouse

The process of fixing up the house has been a slow one, as we are broke and busy as hell with Kyle in school and just getting promoted at work, and of course with the wedding and all. However, we are slowly getting a few things done at a time. The kitchen is near completion, we need to touch up the paint, and we still need a few pieces of furniture that might have to wait until after the wedding, but it's coming along. Since the previous owner of our house decided to make the place look modern, Kyle and I have been carefully adding all of our old crap to balance it out. There seems to be an even mix of modern-vintage and random quirk that really reflects us.

1) A few years ago, my best friend Jamie gave me this awesome gumball machine. There was never really a good spot for it at the apartment, but here at the house it looks perfect. What kitchen doesn't have a gumball machine? Seriously.

2) If I had a lot of money, I would put fresh flowers in the kitchen and living room everyday. Not roses or anything fancy, but wild flowers or brightly dyed daises, like these.

househouse

1) There is no denying my passion for caffeine, I gulp it down daily. However, these little cups were too small for Kyle and I, but we could not part with them as they are part of a vintage set my grandmother owned, the other from a set we thrifted. Kyle's solution? Hang them on the wall! Now we have more room for our gigantic ass ones that we favor on a daily basis.

2) Through the years, I have accumulated a lot of little random things. I try over and over again to downsize and keep things simple, but lets be honest, that never happens. Instead, I put a bunch of things together on a wall in the guest bedroom, starting a random collage.

househouse

1) As the guest room is "my room", Kyle claimed the office as his own-for decorating purposes that is. In all actually, the office has been claimed by my cats. However, Kyle and I have been trying to balance out the modern Ikea bookshelves in the room with all of the random old-man things Kyle loves. Apart from a few small projects, some organizing and paint, this room is also almost done.

2) Whenever Kyle and I go thrifting, I can't help but scan the mugs. Occasionally I find some such as this little one and I can't help but fork over the 80 cents or whatever it is for the mug. I actually want to take another trip to the UP this year, maybe just for a weekend. Yoopers always have the best things stashed in their thirft stores.


You Might Also Like

16 Musings

  1. I love the cat mug. It's all those little things that make a house a home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gumballs in your house?fantastic!!!
    ps.I read your last posts,in my opinion you would look great with short hair cause you got a cute face ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like hearing about your life. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the coffee mugs! brilliant idea :) stop by my blog sometime today i awarded you the 7x7 award :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH i love the collage and how you hung up the little cups. I bet your kitchen looks adorable and I can tell that all these little bits and pieces are definitely you! Gotta love the vintage vibe...seriously don't think I'll get over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big yay for gum balls!! I'm such a sugar freak ...

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  7. So spiffy! Love the things you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring. I like how you guys are balancing it all out. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many adorable things you have in your home! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You give your home lots of charm and character! I love the cat cup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to have abandoned your lovely blog for so long. I've been caught up with newspaper editing, colds, and computers dying, but I'm back on track (for now).

    I love your decor! You and Kyle have an eye for eye-popping paint colors. I'm fond of art collages, so I love yours and the gumball machine does add some great quirk.

    P.S. love your red tights in the last outfit post, an equally awesome splash of color! And congrats on getting to work on time. After my friend said she was used to me showing up late last semester, I made a goal of punctuality and it's really made me feel better about myself. Like you say, hooray for accomplishing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, these are such fun little snippets! One of the things I most look forward to about having my own space at some point is being able to decorate it however I like. I LOVE the cups on the wall, and that cat mug is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these photos! Just moved into a new place on Saturday, trying to figure everything out. Definitely enjoy reading about your decorating adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your house decor, and the cat mug is sooo cute!!
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to have a gumball machine in my house.
    Cute pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, the good thing about spring coming up is you can pick some flowers out of people's yards on the way home. lol or you can just pick some wild ones and green sprigs.

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.