Little Bits: Around The House12:50 PM
The process of fixing up the house has been a slow one, as we are broke and busy as hell with Kyle in school and just getting promoted at work, and of course with the wedding and all. However, we are slowly getting a few things done at a time. The kitchen is near completion, we need to touch up the paint, and we still need a few pieces of furniture that might have to wait until after the wedding, but it's coming along. Since the previous owner of our house decided to make the place look modern, Kyle and I have been carefully adding all of our old crap to balance it out. There seems to be an even mix of modern-vintage and random quirk that really reflects us.
1) A few years ago, my best friend Jamie gave me this awesome gumball machine. There was never really a good spot for it at the apartment, but here at the house it looks perfect. What kitchen doesn't have a gumball machine? Seriously.
2) If I had a lot of money, I would put fresh flowers in the kitchen and living room everyday. Not roses or anything fancy, but wild flowers or brightly dyed daises, like these.
1) There is no denying my passion for caffeine, I gulp it down daily. However, these little cups were too small for Kyle and I, but we could not part with them as they are part of a vintage set my grandmother owned, the other from a set we thrifted. Kyle's solution? Hang them on the wall! Now we have more room for our gigantic ass ones that we favor on a daily basis.
2) Through the years, I have accumulated a lot of little random things. I try over and over again to downsize and keep things simple, but lets be honest, that never happens. Instead, I put a bunch of things together on a wall in the guest bedroom, starting a random collage.
1) As the guest room is "my room", Kyle claimed the office as his own-for decorating purposes that is. In all actually, the office has been claimed by my cats. However, Kyle and I have been trying to balance out the modern Ikea bookshelves in the room with all of the random old-man things Kyle loves. Apart from a few small projects, some organizing and paint, this room is also almost done.
2) Whenever Kyle and I go thrifting, I can't help but scan the mugs. Occasionally I find some such as this little one and I can't help but fork over the 80 cents or whatever it is for the mug. I actually want to take another trip to the UP this year, maybe just for a weekend. Yoopers always have the best things stashed in their thirft stores.