Eats: Jambalaya

7:47 AM

skate 012

Rumor has it Spring is on its way, however, the snowflakes laughing in my face as I shook like a crack head from the cold this morning say otherwise. I am a fan of comfort foods and to me that includes as much spice as possible without giving Kyle a heart attack. So its no surprise jambalaya is one of my favorite dishes to make, a little heat for this cold Spring.
What you’ll need:

-Whole grain rice
-Black beans
-Corn
-Tomatoes
-Peppers
-Hot peppers
-Onion
-Carrots
-Cayenne pepper
-Tofurkey sausage (I have used smoked breakfast links and chicken in the past so those work great too).


skate 002
skate 005
skate 006

Cook rice according to directions on package, I used a sea-salt bouillon cube with this batch. While that is cooking, chop and peel veggies. You really can use almost any vegetable you have around, my mom used to refer to jambalaya as “all the left-overs” so if you want to add something else, go ahead. Cook all the veggies and meat in a skillet with cayenne pepper until done. Add them to the rice, along with the corn and black beans. Finally, chop tomatoes and add those, along with any hot peppers.

skate 007

I am also a fan of cornbread, and I made some from a box of cheapo jiffy mix. I just follow the directions on the box, substituting silk for milk and flaxseed for eggs. I also add a little brown sugar and agave to make them sweet, tastes great with the spice of the jambalaya.

skate 010
skate 015

There you have it, a nice, hot comfort meal.

You Might Also Like

14 Musings

  1. Hi Sara!!yummmm looks delicious, and made me hungry.

    kisses Sara

    rose jp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks totally yummy. I may have to make this myself...and add some hot sauce at the end for me >:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tasted Jambalaya or Cornbread before, so this meal looks all sorts of divine right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jambalaya scares me, but I know that Mr. A is a huge fan!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so yummy! I felt sure there was jalapenos in that cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun dish! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful foodie post! You have some great ideas for meals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have to try this. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a yummy Monday post! Cool about the cornbread, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring hasnt come to my town either. This dish would be great on a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete

Talk nerdy to me.